Its recently occurred to me that the exam period is coming back around, and I'm seriously amazed how quick the time has gone since I took my exams! Since I'm taking an 18 unit media diploma course (possible blog post explaining what thats all about soon) I don't have to take any A level exams, but I'm still able to leave college/sixth form with at least 3 A - Levels. Thankfully as well, none of my GCSEs were too low that I would have to re take them again this year (phew!)
Anyways, for many people this is an extremely stressful time and sometimes you have no idea if you'll be able to get through it all once you get your exam timetable - I would know, I've been there! There are many reasons that I'm writing this post: 1) tips that really helped me 2) advice for those who may need it and 3) pretty much most of the UK will have to go through GCSEs, whereas A levels are an option to take or not, thankfully there are courses out there to offer you the same opportunities as those who are taking A levels.
So, if you don't need or want to read this - I'll see you next blog post, but if you're at this stage in your life - I really would love it if you could hear what I have to say on this subject, I wish I knew some of these things before going into the exam room!
(These tips are all my own and are from someone who's target grades were from A-C, I averaged in Cs & Bs so these will be great for those in the same range as I was!)
Learning techniques for Kinaesthetic and Visual learners:
1) Taking notes when shown demonstrations
2) Post it notes as wallpaper
3) YouTube videos & online learning
Struggle with science? - https://www.youtube.com/user/myGCSEscience
Maths? - https://www.youtube.com/user/HEGARTYMATHS
SAMLearning - I think schools get automatic logins - but ask just in case! https://www.samlearning.com/
BBC Bitesize - http://www.bbc.co.uk/education
AQA Apps - search on Google Play or App Store, its all free :)
4) Listen to classical music
Stuff to know:
- Yes, it's going to be stressful, but do not let that go to your head too much!
- EVERYONE your age will be going through the same feelings and worries as you are
- It will come and go quickly - take every day as it comes
- Revise the subjects in order of the exams and in how difficult you find the subject
- You are allowed days off!
- Put the work in to get the results you're dreaming of - its not going to hit you overnight
- There will always be somewhere to accept you after school, don't think it will be the end of everything if you don't get what you expected!
- Treasure the last few days of school! You're going to miss it - I promise!!
See you in the next blog post,